ABOUT GREEK REVIVAL ARCHITECTURE [WESTERN RESERVE OF OHIO]
Ohio’s Western Reserve was opened to settlement following the signing of treaties with the Native Americans in the late 18th century. After the War of 1812, the initial settlers were joined in the wilderness by Revolutionary War Veterans and others moving from crowded Connecticut, New England and Upstate New York. By 1820, many of the towns, villages and cities we know today had been founded. At this time, the architecture was still fairly primitive and included predominantly earthen and stone shelters and small log cabins. As farming, hard work and trade increased prosperity, architecture of the Wesetrn Reserve increased in sophistication, evolving from the simpler forms of the Georgian and Federal styles into the Greek Revival and Gothic Revival styles prevalent prior to the mid-19th century and the Civil War.
GREEK REVIVAL STYLE MOULDINGS [WESTERN RESERVE OF OHIO]
Greek Revival style mouldings from typically use the echinus, portions of an ellipse, the beak mold, fillets, and chamfers, but are typically more primitive and austere than their counterparts in more civilized areas of the United States. They embody the puritanical philosophy of the Connecticut natives who brought it to the Western Reserve.